Classification of Plants, Lichens, and Non-lichenized fungi
NatureServe Explorer reports vascular plant, nonvascular plant, lichen, and non-lichenized fungi names as accepted by NatureServe's standard references. Taxa accepted by standard references are listed as "Accepted" under Taxonomic Status. Taxa described in the published scientific literature after the publication of the relevant standard reference (i.e., taxa neither accepted nor rejected by the standard) are also reported if they have a validly published scientific name. These taxa are listed as "Provisionally Accepted" under Taxonomic Status. NatureServe Explorer also reports names not accepted in the standard reference that have status assigned under the U.S. Endangered Species Act or by the Committee on the Status of Endangered Wildlife in Canada. Taxa not accepted in the standard references are listed as "Nonstandard" under Taxonomic Status.
|Taxonomic Status or Classification
||Reported on NatureServe Explorer
|Accepted, also called "Standard"
||The standard classification is the treatment of classification accepted by NatureServe Central Sciences. For species the standard classification varies according to the pertinent Element type (e.g., species groups like liverworts) and geographic area. In some cases, a single standard classification may be used for an entire Element type. In other cases, multiple references are used to develop a standard classification for an Element type.
|Provisionally Accepted, also called "Provisionals"
||Provisional Elements are those that have not yet been formally addressed and accommodated (by acceptance or rejection) in the standard classification. Examples of botanical provisional Elements: Newly discovered taxa that have not yet been formally described, newly described taxa not addressed in a standard classification, taxa newly discovered in the geographic area covered by a standard classification, and taxa that were omitted from the standard classification.
|Not Accepted, also called "Nonstandard"
||Nonstandard Elements are those that have been addressed but not accepted by the standard classification. For species, nonstandard Elements as circumscribed may, in some cases, be included as a part of a standard Element, or may include parts of two or more standard Elements.
||Only those with designated status under the U.S. Endangered Species Act or by the Committee on the Status of Endangered Wildlife in Canada.
Major References for Plants, Lichens, and Non-Lichenized Fungi in the Natural Heritage Network
- Flora of North America Editorial Committee, eds. 1993+. Flora of North America North of Mexico. 20+ vols. New York and Oxford.
- Kartesz, J.T. 1999. A synonymized checklist and atlas with biological attributes for the vascular flora of the United States, Canada, and Greenland. First edition. In: Kartesz, JT and CA Meacham. Synthesis of the North American flora [computer program]. Version 1.0. North Carolina Botanical Garden: Chapel Hill, NC.
- Kartesz J.T. 1994. A synonymized checklist of the vascular flora of the United States, Canada, and Greenland. 2nd ed. 2 vols. Portland, (OR): Timber Press.
- Various other regional, state, and provincial flora as well as other sources in the botanical literature to accommodate current and commonly accepted taxonomic treatments.
- Flora of North America Editorial Committee. 2014a. Flora of North America North of Mexico. Vol. 28. Bryophyta, Part 2. Oxford Univ. Press, New York. vii + 702 pp.
- Flora of North America Editorial Committee. 2007. Flora of North America Vol. 27. Bryophytes: Mosses, part I. Oxford Univ. Press, New York. xxvi + 713 pp.
- Anderson L.E., Crum H.A., Buck W.R. 1990. List of the mosses of North America north of Mexico. The Bryologist 93(4):448-499.
- Anderson L.E. 1990. A checklist of sphagnum in North America north of Mexico. The Bryologist 93(4):500-501.
Liverworts and Hornworts
- Stotler RE, Crandall-Stotler B. A Synopsis of the Liverwort Flora of North America North of Mexico. Annals of the Missouri Botanical Garden. 2017 Dec 29;102(4):574-709. https://doi.org/10.3417/2016027
- Stotler R., Crandall-Stotler B. 1977. A checklist of the liverworts and hornworts of North America. The Bryologist 80(3):405-428.
- Stotler, R. E. and B. Crandall-Stotler. 2005. A revised classification of the Anthocerotophya and a checklist of the Hornworts of North America, north of Mexico. Bryologist 108(1): 16-26.
- Esslinger TL. A cumulative checklist for the lichen-forming, lichenicolous and allied fungi of the continental United States and Canada, version 22. Opuscula Philolichenum. 2018;17:6-268. https://www.ndsu.edu/pubweb/~esslinge/chcklst/chcklst7.htm
- Esslinger T.L., Egan R.S. 1995. A sixth checklist of the lichen-forming, lichenicolous, and allied fungi of the continental United States and Canada. The Bryologist 98(4):467-549.